A strong, bold, enchanting place, Hendon Hall Hotel is ideal for a relaxing break, while enjoying a cosmopolitan atmosphere on the edge of one of the world's greatest cities. Set in north London, the hotel is easily accessible from central London and both the A1, A406 (North Circular) and M1.
Originally known as Hendon Manor, it is a rare gem set in the crown of North London. With beautiful gardens, perfect for strolling around or sitting and relaxing in, you feel miles away from the hustle and bustle of London.
The hotel offers 56 bedrooms, a mixture of classic and executive bedrooms and junior suites. All rooms have LCD TVs, DVD players and tea & coffee-making facilities.
Hendon Hall Hotel was originally known as the Hendon Manor, which dates back to the 1500s and was known to have been recorded in the Doomsday Book. Originally any income generated by the Manor was granted to Westminster Abbey, but later was seized by the Crown for the Church of England.
King Henry's son Edward gave the manor to the Earl of Pembroke in return for good and faithful services and he in turn gave it to his son Edward as a wedding present in 1569. The Pembroke family lost the Manor during the Civil War for being on the wrong side as Loyalists, but regained it during the Restoration of Charles II.
In 1688 the Lord of the Manor was a staunch supporter of the Catholic James II and fled with him to France, therefore losing his land and title.
Yet again Hendon Manor reverted to the Crown but was soon occupied by the Powis family. The last Marquis died without issue. The memorial title, rights and income of the Hendon Manor were sold in the late 18th century to David Garrick. He was a famous actor and manager of the Drury Lane Theatre and bought the property for ¬£13,000. David Garrick achieved great fame, so much so that his head was on the half-penny coin.
David Garrick fervently admired Shakespeare and created a memorial to him in the grounds of Hendon Manor, the tribute to William Shakespeare reads as follows:
Born A.D. MDLXIV
Died A.D. MDCXVI
There also now stands a Memorial to David Garrick who died as Lord of the Manor in 1779. The Memorial reads as follows:
Born A.D. MDCCXVI, Died A.D. MDCCLXXIX
He was owner of the estate
Viarial Patron and
Lord of the Manor of Hendon
The Memorial still stands in the front of the grounds, although he was buried in Westminster Abbey.
In 1852 Hendon Hall was a girl's school. Plays were often performed on the lawns in the grounds on Summer evenings.
Hendon Hall first opened its doors as a hotel in 1911, but was closed during the Second World War to become an RAF convalescent home. After the war it became a hotel again, starting off with a grand re-opening that local residents remember to this day. In 1966, The most famous England Team of all stayed at Hendon Hall during the World Cup, which of course they won! Photographs around the house were mostly taken in the grounds of Hendon Hall. The team walked from Hendon Hall to Wembley as part of their training.
Take a look around the grounds - in the garden stands an original mounting block for the horses and a jardiniere which was part of the original building. Photographs of the house during the Edwardian era show how little the house has changed over the ages. Today you can still wine and dine in the elegant and tranquil 18th century surroundings of the Sheridan and Johnson state rooms.